This past summer I traveled to Tarragona, Spain, with Prof. Ronald Willey and 22 other students on a Chemical Engineering dialogue to study Thermodynamics and Process Safety. Going on dialogue has...
You are here
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering) University of New Hampshire, 1974
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1984
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Fellow
- Willey, R. J. and Shanley, E. S., "A Dust Explosion Apparatus Suitable for Use in Lecture Demonstrations," Chemical Engineering Education, Vol. 38 (3), 2004, pp. 188.
- West, A. S., Hendershot, D., Murphy, J. F. and Willey, R. J., "Bhopal’s Impact on the Chemical Industry," Process Safety Progress, Vol. 23 (4), 2004, pp. 229-230.
- R. J. Willey, "Fundamentals of Chemical Transportation with Case Histories," prepared for SACHE (Safety and Chemical Engineering Education) as a product of the AIChE-CCPS. Aug 2004, ISBN 0-8169-0956-3.
- Richter, C.; Jaye, C.; Panaitescu, E.; Fischer, D. A.; Lewis, L. H.; Willey, R. J.; Menon, L., "Effect of potassium adsorption on the photochemical properties of titania nanotube arrays,"Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol 19, 2009, pp. 2963-2967.
- Willey, R. J.; H.S. Fogler; and M.B. Cutlip, "The Integration of Process Safety into a ChemicalReaction Engineering Course: Kinetic Modeling of the T2 Incident," Process Safety Progress, Vol 30/1, 2011, pp. 39-44.
- Willey, R. J., "Decoding Safety Data Sheets," CEP, Vol 108/6, 2012, pp. 28-31.
- J. Murphy, D. Hendershot, S. Berger, A.E. Summers, R.J. Willey, "Bhopal Revisited, Process Safety Progress", 33(4), 2014, 310-313
- R.J. Willey, "Consider the Role of Safety Layers in the Bhopal Disaster", Chemical Engineering Progress, 110(12), 2014, 22-27
- R. J. Willey, "Layer of Protection Analysis, Procedia Engineering, 84, 2014, 12–22
- R. J. Willey, "Novel ways to Present Process Safety Concepts, Process Safety Progress", 33(3), 2014, 207-207
- R. Willey, J. H.-C. Hsiao, R. E. Sanders, A. Kossoy, C.-M. Shu, "A Focus on Fire Fundamentals Including Emergency Response Training at the National Fire Agency in Taiwan", Process Safety Progress, 32(1), 2013, 2-7
- R. Willey, J. Murphy, "Process Safety Progress", American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 32(3), 2013, 229-229
- T.O. Spicer, R. J. Willey, D. A. Crowl, W. Smades, "The Safety and Chemical Engineering Education Committee— Broadening the Reach of Chemical Engineering Process Safety Education", Process Safety Progress, 32(2), 2013, 113-118
Joined the Chemical Engineering Department in Fall 1983.
Prof. Willey interests centers on process safety and the integration of it into the education of chemical engineers. He is a contributor to the SACHE (Safety and Chemical Engineering Education) committee having provided over 10 teaching modules and case histories including the accident in Bhopal. He serves on a number of national committees including NFPA 45, Commonwealth Board of Registration of Engineers and Land Surveyors, and the NCEES fundamentals examination committee.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Chemical Engineering Professor Ron Willey delivered a keynote presentation for the Third Workshop and Symposium on Safety and Integrity Management of Operations in Harsh Environments hosted by the...
Deb Pano is a 4th year Chemical Engineering student pursuing her BS and MS degrees concurrently. She first became interested in process safety after traveling on Professor Ron Willey’s Dialogue...