This past summer I traveled to Tarragona, Spain, with Prof. Ronald Willey and 22 other students on a Chemical Engineering dialogue to study Thermodynamics and Process Safety. Going on dialogue has...
You are here
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering) University of New Hampshire, 1974
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1984
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Fellow
- R.J. Willey, West Fertilizer Company Fire and Explosion: A Summary of the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board Report, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 49, 2017, 132-138
- P.R. Amyotte, S. Berger, D.W. Edwards, J.P. Gupta, D.C. Hendershot, F.I. Khan, M.S. Mannan, R.J. Willey, Why Major Accidents are Still Occurring, Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, 14, 2016, 1-8
- J. Murphy, D. Hendershot, S. Berger, A.E. Summers, R.J. Willey, Bhopal Revisited, Process Safety Progress, 33(4), 2014, 310-313
- R.J. Willey, Consider the Role of Safety Layers in the Bhopal Disaster, Chemical Engineering Progress, 110(12), 2014, 22-27
- R. J. Willey, Layer of Protection Analysis, Procedia Engineering, 84, 2014, 12–22
- R. J. Willey, Novel ways to Present Process Safety Concepts, Process Safety Progress, 33(3), 2014, 207-207
- R. Willey, J. H.-C. Hsiao, R. E. Sanders, A. Kossoy, C.-M. Shu, A Focus on Fire Fundamentals Including Emergency Response Training at the National Fire Agency in Taiwan, Process Safety Progress, 32(1), 2013, 2-7
- R. Willey, J. Murphy, Process Safety Progress, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 32(3), 2013, 229-229
- T.O. Spicer, R. J. Willey, D.A. Crowl, W. Smades, The Safety and Chemical Engineering Education Committee—Broadening the Reach of Chemical Engineering Process Safety Education, Process Safety Progress, 32(2), 2013, 113-118
Joined the Chemical Engineering Department in Fall 1983.
Prof. Willey interests centers on process safety and the integration of it into the education of chemical engineers. He is a contributor to the SACHE (Safety and Chemical Engineering Education) committee having provided over 10 teaching modules and case histories including the accident in Bhopal. He serves on a number of national committees including NFPA 45, Commonwealth Board of Registration of Engineers and Land Surveyors, and the NCEES fundamentals examination committee.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Chemical Engineering Professor Ron Willey delivered a keynote presentation for the Third Workshop and Symposium on Safety and Integrity Management of Operations in Harsh Environments hosted by the...
Deb Pano is a 4th year Chemical Engineering student pursuing her BS and MS degrees concurrently. She first became interested in process safety after traveling on Professor Ron Willey’s Dialogue...