Ron Willey, Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Chemical Engineering, delivered the lead keynote presentation at the 11th International Symposium on Safety Science and Technology in...
You are here
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering) University of New Hampshire, 1974
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1984
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Fellow
- R.J. Willey, West Fertilizer Company Fire and Explosion: A Summary of the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board Report, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 49, 2017, 132-138
- P.R. Amyotte, S. Berger, D.W. Edwards, J.P. Gupta, D.C. Hendershot, F.I. Khan, M.S. Mannan, R.J. Willey, Why Major Accidents are Still Occurring, Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, 14, 2016, 1-8
- J. Murphy, D. Hendershot, S. Berger, A.E. Summers, R.J. Willey, Bhopal Revisited, Process Safety Progress, 33(4), 2014, 310-313
- R.J. Willey, Consider the Role of Safety Layers in the Bhopal Disaster, Chemical Engineering Progress, 110(12), 2014, 22-27
- R. J. Willey, Layer of Protection Analysis, Procedia Engineering, 84, 2014, 12–22
- R. J. Willey, Novel ways to Present Process Safety Concepts, Process Safety Progress, 33(3), 2014, 207-207
- R. Willey, J. H.-C. Hsiao, R. E. Sanders, A. Kossoy, C.-M. Shu, A Focus on Fire Fundamentals Including Emergency Response Training at the National Fire Agency in Taiwan, Process Safety Progress, 32(1), 2013, 2-7
- R. Willey, J. Murphy, Process Safety Progress, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 32(3), 2013, 229-229
- T.O. Spicer, R. J. Willey, D.A. Crowl, W. Smades, The Safety and Chemical Engineering Education Committee—Broadening the Reach of Chemical Engineering Process Safety Education, Process Safety Progress, 32(2), 2013, 113-118
Joined the Chemical Engineering Department in Fall 1983.
Prof. Willey interests centers on process safety and the integration of it into the education of chemical engineers. He is a contributor to the SACHE (Safety and Chemical Engineering Education) committee having provided over 10 teaching modules and case histories including the accident in Bhopal. He serves on a number of national committees including NFPA 45, Commonwealth Board of Registration of Engineers and Land Surveyors, and the NCEES fundamentals examination committee.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
This past summer I traveled to Tarragona, Spain, with Prof. Ronald Willey and 22 other students on a Chemical Engineering dialogue to study Thermodynamics and Process Safety. Going on dialogue has...
Chemical Engineering Professor Ron Willey delivered a keynote presentation for the Third Workshop and Symposium on Safety and Integrity Management of Operations in Harsh Environments hosted by the...