The Department of Chemical Engineering announced their new graduate certificate in process safety engineering at this year’s Global Congress on Process Safety (GCPS), which was held in Houston, TX.
You are here
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering) University of New Hampshire, 1974
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1984
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Fellow
- Willey, R. J. and Shanley, E. S., "A Dust Explosion Apparatus Suitable for Use in Lecture Demonstrations," Chemical Engineering Education, Vol. 38 (3), 2004, pp. 188.
- West, A. S., Hendershot, D., Murphy, J. F. and Willey, R. J., "Bhopal’s Impact on the Chemical Industry," Process Safety Progress, Vol. 23 (4), 2004, pp. 229-230.
- R. J. Willey, "Fundamentals of Chemical Transportation with Case Histories," prepared for SACHE (Safety and Chemical Engineering Education) as a product of the AIChE-CCPS. Aug 2004, ISBN 0-8169-0956-3.
- Richter, C.; Jaye, C.; Panaitescu, E.; Fischer, D. A.; Lewis, L. H.; Willey, R. J.; Menon, L., "Effect of potassium adsorption on the photochemical properties of titania nanotube arrays,"Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol 19, 2009, pp. 2963-2967.
- Willey, R. J.; H.S. Fogler; and M.B. Cutlip, "The Integration of Process Safety into a ChemicalReaction Engineering Course: Kinetic Modeling of the T2 Incident," Process Safety Progress, Vol 30/1, 2011, pp. 39-44.
- Willey, R. J., "Decoding Safety Data Sheets," CEP, Vol 108/6, 2012, pp. 28-31.
- J. Murphy, D. Hendershot, S. Berger, A.E. Summers, R.J. Willey, "Bhopal Revisited, Process Safety Progress", 33(4), 2014, 310-313
- R.J. Willey, "Consider the Role of Safety Layers in the Bhopal Disaster", Chemical Engineering Progress, 110(12), 2014, 22-27
- R. J. Willey, "Layer of Protection Analysis, Procedia Engineering, 84, 2014, 12–22
- R. J. Willey, "Novel ways to Present Process Safety Concepts, Process Safety Progress", 33(3), 2014, 207-207
- R. Willey, J. H.-C. Hsiao, R. E. Sanders, A. Kossoy, C.-M. Shu, "A Focus on Fire Fundamentals Including Emergency Response Training at the National Fire Agency in Taiwan", Process Safety Progress, 32(1), 2013, 2-7
- R. Willey, J. Murphy, "Process Safety Progress", American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 32(3), 2013, 229-229
- T.O. Spicer, R. J. Willey, D. A. Crowl, W. Smades, "The Safety and Chemical Engineering Education Committee— Broadening the Reach of Chemical Engineering Process Safety Education", Process Safety Progress, 32(2), 2013, 113-118
Joined the Chemical Engineering Department in Fall 1983.
Prof. Willey interests centers on process safety and the integration of it into the education of chemical engineers. He is a contributor to the SACHE (Safety and Chemical Engineering Education) committee having provided over 10 teaching modules and case histories including the accident in Bhopal. He serves on a number of national committees including NFPA 45, Commonwealth Board of Registration of Engineers and Land Surveyors, and the NCEES fundamentals examination committee.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
ChE Professor Ron Willey was awarded a patent for his method of creating “Titania nanotubes prepared by anodization in chloride-containing electrolytes”.
Chemical Engineering Professor Ron Willey is the recipient of the Norton H. Walton/ Russell L. Miller Award in Safety/Loss Prevention which is the highest honor from the Safety and Health Division of...