The Chemical Engineering Department is a community of scholars comprised of faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students, cooperative education faculty, and staff. Our community shares a commitment to promote excellence in education and research through individual and collective responsibility for maintaining the highest expectations and standards.
The community of scholars is more than a collection of individuals. Our community provides a supportive yet challenging environment that both promotes the exchange of ideas, collaboration, learning, and individual growth & development, and rewards innovative and creative behaviors. This synergistic community engages all members in the active pursuit of academic excellence.
Meeting NAE Grand Challenges
Nanotechnology: Drug-Free Way to Prevent Viruses and Bacterial Infections
ChE Professor Tom Webster discusses Northeastern’s nanotechnology research that could sometime in the not so distance future create nanoparticles that can infiltrate a bacteria or attach to a virus to render it useless, without vaccinations and other drugs, and without mutating strains impacting the effectiveness.
Chemical Engineering by the Numbers
- In 2017, the Department of Chemical Engineering at Northeastern was recently ranked in the top five most impactful biomaterial research programs in the world by the Journal of Biomedical Materials Research.
- Published Papers in 2017: 144
- Presentations at Conferences in 2017: 211
- Undergraduate growth since 2012: 3x
- % of Female Undergraduate Students in 2017: 37%
- Graduate growth since 2012: 3.3x
- Faculty growth since 2012: 2.25x
- Increase in Visiting Scholars from AY 13 to AY 16: 250%
- Philanthropic growth since 2012: 1,200%
- Research expenditures since 2012 up 58%