Associate Professor Richard West has been named the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies for the Department of Chemical Engineering, effective July 1, 2018. Chemical engineering's graduate program...
You are here
- B.S. (Analytical Chemistry) Northwest University (China) 1993
- Ph.D. (Materials Sciences and Engineering) Northwestern University 2004
- American Chemical Society Doctoral New Investigator Award
- Department of Defense Concept Award
- Department of Justice New Investigator Award
- Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- National Institutes of Health Director's New Innovator Award
- J. Deng, S. Xu, W. Hu, X. Xun, L. Zheng, M. Su, Tumor targeted, stealthy and degradable bismuth nanoparticles for enhanced X-ray radiation therapy of breast cancer, Biomaterials 2018, 154, 24.
- L. Jiao, Q. Li, J. Deng, N. Okosi, J. Xia, M. Su, Nanocellulose templated growth of ultra-small bismuth nanoparticles for enhanced radiation therapy, Nanoscale 2018, 10, 6751.
- W. Zheng, N. H. Golshan, S. J. Celestin, K. S. Ziemer, M. Su, Highly efficient in situ oxidization of metal ions in porous media with high power laser, Applied Optics 2018, 57, 4232.
- J. Xia, Y. Qiu, X. Xun, L. Ma, J. Guan, M. Su, Single cell patterning for high throughput sub-cellular toxicity assay, Analytica Chemica Acta 2018, 1007, 26.
- J. Xia, M. Su, Chip-scale alignment of long DNA nanofibers on patterned self-assembled monolayer, Lab on a Chip 2017, 17, 3234.
- Y. Qiu, D. Ning, P. Zhang, S. Curly, Y. Qiao, L. Ma, M. Su, Three-dimensional micro-tissues as in vitro model for personalized radiation therapy, Analyst 2017, 142, 3605.
- S. Hou, W. Zheng, B. Duong, M. Su, All-optical decoder for rapid and noncontact readout of thermal barcodes, J. Phys. Chem. C 2016, 120, 22110.
Joined the Chemical Engineering Department in Fall 2014.
I have created a multi-disciplinary research program targeting nanoparticles, disease detection, radiation therapy, and covert thermal barcodes. I am developing (1) a multi-marker based blood assay for rapid reliable screening of diseases (cancers, Alzheimer disease and infectious diseases) using phase change nanoparticles; (2) a covert barcode system with extremely high labeling capacity using phase change nanoparticles for drug and document authentication, and explosive tracking; and (3) nanoparticle enhanced radiation therapy and killing of multiple drug resistant bacteria. My long term goal is to use my expertise in advanced materials, biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, biosensing and X-ray microanalysis to develop next-generation platforms enabled by nanoparticles for early detections and treatments of diseases.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Honors & Awards
The first International Conference on Biomaterials and Chemical Biology was hosted at Northeastern University by the Department of Chemical Engineering. Collaborative research in these disciplines has the potential to advance the field of biomaterials in a unique way and lead to new discoveries for better medicines and treatments. Additionally, Xingdong Zhang, Professor and Honorary Director of the National Engineering Research Center for Biomaterials at Sichuan University, was named University Distinguished Professor by Provost James Bean and Dean Nadine Aubry.
ChE Associate Professor Ming Su's article on "Three-dimensional microtissues as an in vitro model for personalized radiation therapy" was selected to be featured on the cover of the Analyst journal.