ChE Assistant Professor Ryan Koppes and his colleagues have developed a hydrogel that could one day replace sutures and help support nerve growth and regeneration.
You are here
- PhD (2013) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Biomedical Engineering
- MS (2010) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Biomedical Engineering, area of concentration: Muscle Tissue Engineering
- BS (2008) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Biomedical Engineering, area of concentration: Biomaterials
- American Society for Mechanical Engineers
- Biophysical Society
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Materials Research Society
- K. Mubyana, R.A. Koppes, K.L. Lee, J.A. Cooper, D.T. Corr, The Influence of Specimen Thickness and Alignment on the Material and Failure Properties of Electrospun Polycaprolactone Nanofiber Mats, J. Biomedical Materials Research A, 107(11), 2016, 2794-2800
- A.N. Koppes, K.W. Keating, A.L. McGregor, R.A. Koppes, K.R. Kearns, A.M. Ziemba, C.A. McKay, J.M. Zuidema, C.J. Rivet, R.J. Gilbert, D.M. Thompson, Robust Neurite Extension Following Exogenous Electrical Stimulation Within Single Walled Carbon Nanotube-Composite Hydrogels, Acta Biomaterialia, 39, 2016, 34-43
- R.A. Koppes, S. Park, T. Hood, X. Jia, N. Abdolrahim Poorheravi, A.H. Achyuta, Y. Fink, P. Anikeeva, Thermally Drawn Fibers as Nerve Guidance Scaffolds, Biomaterials, 81, 2016, 27-35
- A. Canales, X. Jia, U.P. Froriep, R.A. Koppes, C.M. Tringides, J. Selvidge, C. Lu, C. Hou, L. Wei, Y. Fink, P. Anikeeva, Multimodality Fibers for In-Vivo Simultaneous Optical, Electrical and Chemical Communications with Neural Circuits, Nature Biotechnology, 33(3), 2015, 277-284
- R.A. Koppes, D.M. Swank, D.T. Corr, A New Experimental Model for Force Enhancement: Steady-State and Transient Observations in the Drosophila Jump Muscle, AJP-Cell Physiology, 2015
- S. Park, R.A. Koppes, U.P. Froriep, X. Jia, A. Harapanahalli, B. McLaughlin, P. Anikeeva, Optogenetic Control of Nerve Growth, Scientific Reports, 5(9669), 2015
- P. Anikeeva, R.A. Koppes, Restoring the Sense of Touch, Science, 350(6258), 2015, 274-275
- R. Koppes, D. Swank, et al., A New Experimental Model to Study Force Depression: The Drosophila Jump Muscle, Journal of Applied Physiology, 166(12), 2014, 1543-1550
- C. Lu, U.P. Froriep, R. Koppes, et al., Polymer Fiber Probes Enable Optical Control of Spinal Cord and Muscle Function in Vivo, Advanced Functional Materials, 24(42), 2014, 6594-6600 *Cover Art
- N. Schiele, R. Koppes, D. Chrisey, D.T. Corr, Engineering Cellular Fibers for Musculoskeletal Soft Tissues Using Directed Self-Assembly, Tissue Engineering: Part A, 19(9-10), 2013, 1223-1232
Joined the Chemical Engineering Department in Fall 2015.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
ChE Assistant Professor Ryan Koppes was recently interviewed and featured in the Science article " For postdocs looking to break into entrepreneurship, this MIT fellowship is helping light the...
ChE Assistant Professors Abigail Koppes and Ryan Koppes were awarded a $632K NIH grant to develop a microfluidic model of the 'brain-in-the-gut'. The grant is a three-year Trailblazer New/Early Career Investigator R21 award with the NIH National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering.